Thursday, May 28, 2009


WALK FOR
BRITTANY JONES
AT
DAMASCUS H.S.

Walk-a-thon Raised Funds to Cover Medical
Expenses for Damascus Crash Survivor
Another www.robertdyer.net Exclusive!
Last week, on my way to Mt. Airy, I saw an announcement on the electronic sign in front of Damascus High School. It said there would be a fundraiser - "Walk for Brittany Jones" - at the school on May 27.


You may remember the horrific auto accident last fall, in which Damascus H.S. student Ryan Didone was killed and several others were seriously injured. One of those survivors is Damascus sophomore Brittany Jones. She has made a tremendous effort toward a full recovery, but her insurance company is refusing to pay for the 6 weekly rehabilitation sessions she needs to complete her recovery by the end of 2009.


That is where we are able to assist her and her family by donating to the medical fund established to cover those costs. Once again, it is not our health care system which is flawed, but our insurance companies which deny access to treatment. It's outrageous.


Anyway, I got there later in the afternoon. I suspect there was probably a official ceremony when the event started at 7:00 AM. But by this time, there were just supporters walking around the track, and other people hanging out.

I went to the donations table, but there wasn't anybody sitting there. So I filled out the form and put my donation in the big jar. There weren't any instructions about what to do, either, so I just went ahead and took a couple of laps around the track. I haven't been on a track since I was in high school. I'm in much better shape now than I was then, that's for sure.
I took a short video - a pan around the stadium, so that those of you who weren't able to attend would have a chance to be there. You can watch it now at www.RobertDyer.net on the Robert Dyer Channel. I also took some photos, which you can enjoy there as well. It was an opportunity to get some shots of the water tower from the vantage point of the football stadium, as well as of the venerable scoreboard and bleachers. Damascus may not be the newest or fanciest high school in the county, but it has plenty of character, and has fielded a huge number of outstanding athletes over the years.
There was music playing over the stadium speakers, and the concessions stand appeared to be open. Right before I left, a man came down from the press box (or whatever you call that thing) and manned the donations table. The crowd was increasing the whole time I was there.
Dark clouds appeared in the sky at one point, but it was a false alarm. By 6:00, the sun was shining, and that was appropriate on this day.
You can help by sending a donation to:
Brittany Jones Medical Fund
c/o Chevy Chase Bank
26001 Ridge Road
Damascus, MD 20872

No comments: