Saturday, August 22, 2009



DAMASCUS
HIGH SCHOOL
FUTURE
FARMERS OF
AMERICA
TOMATO HARVEST


I am nearing the end of one of my summer projects - growing the tomato plants I purchased in May, from the Damascus Future Farmers of America plant sale in Mount Airy.

After some misfortunes and novice mistakes, I have finally been able to eat several of the Roma tomatoes. They did taste good. Some of them were attacked by birds and bugs. Some had a strange dark green inside, near the base of the stem. Those had to be discarded, unfortunately.

Part of the problem was learning when to pick them, and gauging how red they will actually get. I let some go too long, when it seems that these Roma tomatoes will not get evenly red no matter how long you wait. And then they either develop spots, or get attacked by tomato predators. Of course, troubles were more likely when I made the choice to not use any pesticides or chemicals on my plants.

The heirloom tomatoes were not very successful in terms of getting to eat them. My FFA heirloom plant produced 5 large tomatoes. That, according to my research, is normal, because heirlooms don't produce as much fruit as commercial hybrids. But when they started to turn pink, the problems began.

First of all, I don't know what a ripe heirloom looks like. Then the first half-red heirloom vanished. It may have been stolen by a tomato burglar or animal. That left four. Then heirloom #2 fell under the weather, developing an odd appearance. Heirlooms 3 and 4 never would turn entirely red, only the bottom 2/3rds. Then they went bad overnight, including a large split on the lower part of each. Disaster! Heirlooms are very susceptible to pests and disease.

That leaves the last one, and I've picked that and brought it in. I know it is doomed if I leave it on the vine. So I had to bring it in. I hope I will be able to eat it, but can't be sure yet. I think the plant was a good one, and I just have to learn from my mistakes in the future.

I've learned quite a bit already. Did you know that crickets can be tomato pests? I do now.

The main thing is, these tomatoes are much better than any you buy at the grocery store. The fruit and plants also have a fresh scent.

So we are nearing the end of this small effort to support Montgomery County agriculture, and the future farmers who live in the county.

You may have read prominent articles touting a supposedly-new farmland preservation effort by the county and state governments. They said, as usual, that everything is "wonerful, wonerful, wonerful," as Lawrence Welk used to say.

Talk to a real farmer in Montgomery County, and you'll find that is anything but the truth. And that we are in danger of losing farmland, while farmers are being cheated out of their livelihood and property value. By Big Government. Due to circumstances often not covered in these puff piece articles taken straight from county press releases. Who wins under current county and state policies and regulations? Guess who? The developers, although you would never guess that listening to your elected officials. The same ones who are beholden to the developers and special interests that got them elected.

We'll be talking about that, and a lot more in the future. But we'll also be continuing to enjoy the fresh foods produced by our current - and future - farmers in Montgomery County.
Be sure to visit the Robert Dyer Channel at www.RobertDyer.net to watch a short video of the Roma tomato plant, and to see pictures on my photo page from day 1 of the tomato plant experiment (more to come).

No comments: