Sunday, September 27, 2009


NEW

DAMASCUS

SAFEWAY


Another www.RobertDyer.net Exclusive!!!


The Grand Opening of the new Safeway on Main Street is still underway. Where the old Safeway was like many others of the chain's stores, the new one is unlike any other I have been in.


Besides the impressive building exterior, the store has a Signature Cafe, Starbucks, and Bergmann's Dry Cleaners.


Unlike some newer grocery stores downcounty, this one doesn't force you to park in a creepy garage - there's plenty of surface parking for the great American automobile.


Inside, it's difficult to move anywhere without an employee offering you a sample of one food or another. When I entered the store, I was presented with a "seedless grape" on a toothpick. Another gentleman asked if I'd like to try the Asiago cheese.


They've got Hungry Man sandwiches. In fact, both the Safeway and the Weis Markets have a full selection of Hungry Man dinners. The Westbard Giant, in contrast, has reduced the number of Hungry Man meals. To make room for more arugula, I guess! Well, you can still find a real dinner for real men in Damascus.


Giant does have the best Halloween candy selection of the three chains, though.


Now, what I actually came in for was to meet a pressing need for caffeine. Fortunately, it was met at the first Starbucks in Damascus - inside the Safeway. I ordered the Pumpkin Spice Frappucino, which is a Halloween special. Overpriced at almost $5, but I have to admit it was delicious. Even though I'm usually a McDonald's Iced Coffee guy.


But, when in Rome...


At the new, upscale Damascus Safeway, you have to think like a billionaire.
What about the old Safeway? It has been stripped of all signage, and the contents were auctioned off 5 days ago. I suspect it will be torn down to make way for...???
You have it preserved on photos and video, though, thanks to me. This morning, you can watch a new video showing the old store, and the new store, on the Robert Dyer Channel at www.RobertDyer.net. Another moment in Damascus history, exclusive on the Robert Dyer Channel.

No comments: