Monday, March 04, 2013

7535 OLD GEORGETOWN ROAD: NEW IMAGES OF KETTLER 15-STORY LUXURY BUILDING AT COMMERCE LANE

Kettler has provided new images of its planned 15-story mixed-use "tower" at Old Georgetown Road and Commerce Lane, near the Bethesda Metro Center.

The project includes 120 apartments, and 5000 square feet of retail space.

New details include a rooftop with spectacular views, a roaring fireplace, seating areas, and even grills to put your steaks, burgers, hot dogs, etc. on.

The bad news? It's for building residents only!

With the Akridge Class A office building nearby having a private rooftop, as well, perhaps those of us on the ground may hear shouted queries of, "Would you happen to have any Grey Poupon?"

But, of course!

There is a mystery sculpture that the developer says is still under wraps, planned for the Old Georgetown Road entrance. The planning documents promise the sculpture will be of sufficient quality as to become a defining Bethesda landmark.

Let's hope so. Because the building concept itself is still lacking.

To try to explain, if I come up out of the Metro (assuming escalators are functioning!), if I look at the Capital One Building or the Bethesda Metro Center, I know I'm in downtown Bethesda immediately.

If I look at this proposed building, however... where am I?  Ballston? Rockville?  This building could be anywhere.   It's a decent, shoulder-shrugging design on the curved side.  But then they lapsed into that intolerable, "multi-color" trend so prevalent in our region in recent years, on the other sides of the building.

I don't get the message of that color concept. "Help, I've run out of the materials I was using - let's finish it with these other materials we have left over from another project?"

"I like all 3 of these designs. Instead of choosing one, let's just make it 3, 3 buildings in one!?"

It is a Frankenstein Effect, in my opinion. Most great buildings in the world do not look like a mash-up of  3 buildings.

My reaction to these multi-color, mixed use designs is similar to that of Jacques Pepin's when making an unannounced visit to a college dining hall kitchen.

Just pick one design and stick with it.

This one needs work.

It's just frustrating to add a lot of traffic, and whatever the effects will be on nearby residents structurewise, and not be getting the very best in design.

No comments: